Monday, December 14, 2015

I'll have a Blue Christmas - and Battle of the Bands for 12.15.15

I am so completely in denial about Christmas being next week. NEXT. WEEK!!! How did that even happen? I know some of you haven't been able to get into the spirit because of the warmer-than-usual temps, but I haven't been able to get into it because I've been working as much as I can, the house has gotten into quite a mess, and my sons are grown and not into it at all anymore. So this year? We are doing nothing. I had planned to get my tiny tree up and create a vignette, but I have now accepted that that probably isn't going to happen, either. We are not exchanging gifts, just enjoying our day off with appetizers, desserts, and movies. With any luck, next year I will be ready, and have the house more ready, for holiday fetes and cheer!

You'll notice there's been a lack of posts after I swore I was going to do better. Try not to give up on me just yet. I just have to get my house and finances in better shape before I can start my remodel, manage my time better before I can start exercising and cooking, and unfortunately, I will need better weather on my days off to be able to complete any of the DIYs I have planned. In the meantime? It's never a bad time to enjoy music...and here is my favorite non-religious holiday song, Blue Christmas.

Although Elvis Presley didn't write this song, he is the one who made it famous. It has (before and) since been covered many times by many different artists from all ends of the musical spectrum, and I've come across several covers over the years that really get me in the mood for the holidays! So this song will be my re-entry into the world of "STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS". If you're wondering what that's all about - well, it's a blog hop where you pit two different versions of the same song against one another for a "battle of the bands" on your own blog on the 1st and 15th of each month. You ask your readers to listen to each song, and tell you their favorite version in your comments. Then, you'll come back six days later to tally the votes, add your own, and declare a winner.

For your consideration today are covers from post-grunge Georgia band Collective Soul and Omaha, Nebraska Indie darlings Bright Eyes.

Collective Soul

Bright Eyes

Listen to both versions and then cast your vote for your favorite in the comments - it's that simple! And of course, feel free to tell me why/how you chose your favorite version if you are so inclined. I will be back on the 21st to cast my own vote and declare a winner. If you would like to visit more participants or participate in the next go-round, just head to Stephen's to read the hop rules and let him know. I look forward to seeing you there twice a month!

27 comments:

  1. My favorite version of this, by far, is the guy who does it as Porky Pig.

    I'll go with my fellow Georgians Collective Soul on this. They did something different with the song. The other guy sounded like wimpy Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One vote for Collective Soul! I have never heard the Porky Pig - ish version; I'm going to have to go check that out now!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the BOTB! I've added your link to my list.

    Bright Eyes is a bit too breathy soppy for me. Good, but no candy cane.

    I'm a big fan of Collective Soul and have a few of their albums in my collection. There's something about the solid beat in the background of their music that appeals to me. There's a defiance to the blueness that gives the song an interesting interpretation.

    I vote for Collective Soul. Interesting match up.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Arlee! You and I have met before; I've participated in BotB on my other blog before I wandered away from it. I got your vote for Collective Soul, making two :) Their interpretation is definitely interesting.

      Delete
  3. Well, OK so the Collective Soul version did bring their own into it, but I don't feel like it works all that well for me. So I'm throwing my vote Bright Eyes' way. Still has the classic sound, but just... nicer? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Madilyn! Good to meet you! Thank you for saving me from a shutout - got your vote for Bright Eyes! I agree...I'm not sure I notice their vocals all that much, but love the musical sound. Very similar to the Elvis hit, but still sounds different to me.

      Delete
  4. I vote for Collective Soul because I like that beat.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do I follow your blog? I'm following you on Twitter now.

      Delete
    2. Janie - I have no idea how to follow my blog unless it's by typing the url into Bloglines or Bloglovin' or something. I tried to get Google Follow on here, but it wonked my layout up. So...I ditched it. I'm sorry!

      Delete
  5. Welcome Back, Kim! I'm not sure what I expected but I think Collective Souls gets my vote. I don't ever like being blue at any time - this year has been a total bust! Hope things improve your way. (smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that for you, Dixie. I hope the coming year brings much-needed happiness and security to all of us. Lord knows we could use some positivity, what with all the horrible things going on all over the world and the personal things we have going on in our own lives.

      Thanks for the vote; got another for Collective Soul!

      Delete
  6. I go for Bright Eyes because it stuck more to the original. The first one was OK until it went a bit wonky at the end for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I see your sight has completely changed. I need to update you on my BoTB list.

    I'm a sucker for sad songs and like Blue Christmas.

    I also really like Collective Soul and own many of their CDs.

    That said, I didn't like Collective Soul's version of this particular song. I was kinda sorta digging it until the end... and then I pulled the brake handle. Bright Eyes was true(r) to the original. While they didn't do anything to really make the song theirs, I liked it better, so they get my vote.

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome back :) I'll add another check mark to the Bright Eyes column on this one.

      Delete
  8. Welcome back to the BOTB. Always nice to have another music perspective to listen to.
    Regarding your battle, I'm partial to Bright Eyes. Collective Soul seemed kind of m'eh to me, I lost interest fairly early on. The second version got my attention right away and held it. So I'm voting that way.
    Looking forward to more music battles from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome back :) I'll get your vote for Bright Eyes added!

      Delete
  9. I know it's blasphemous to say this, but I've never been fond of Elvis' recording of 'BLUE CHRISTMAS'. It's SOooooo "Elvis-y" that it almost sounds like a caricature or over-the-top Elvis impersonator.

    I'm with John on this one: My favorite rendition is PORKY PIG's, which is absolutely hysterical!

    Of these two options, my vote is easily cast for BRIGHT EYES. With Collective Soul, I could hardly even tell that the song was 'Blue Christmas'.

    Welcome back to BOTB, Kim! Glad to have you with us again, and may you have a Merry (not "Blue") Christmas!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::GASP:: Oh, no you di'int!! Just kidding. But I am surprised you don't like the Elvis version, and I'm not sure why.

      Thanks for the welcome back! I will add another vote for Bright Eyes :)

      Delete
  10. Kim, so glad to see you back in action with BoTB! I hadn't noticed until I hopped over to Madilyn's that your new site is linked up. Well, I think I'm giving my vote to Bright Eyes because like Birgit it reminds me more of the original. I'm a little bit in denial about Christmas being next week, but I'm ready for it. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed, happy new year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome back :) I think I am ready for Christmas, too. And the fact that it'll be a true day off (nowhere to be, nothing to do) just makes it that much better. It'll be different, but I am ready for something different. Even if it's just for this year.

      Got your vote counted for Bright Eyes!

      Delete
  11. Ah man, I loved Elvis version. And Bright Eyes sounds much like Elvis. So I'm voting for Collective Soul, just cuz. Both versions are really good. But I liked the something different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Dolorah! We have another vote for Collective Soul :) It's definitely different, and that is what drew me to it to begin with.

      Delete
  12. I felt both versions were different and good. I liked the arrangement on the Collective Soul version better. I liked the vocals on Bright Eyes better. My vote goes to Bright Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote, Mike! I'll get yours for Bright Eyes in alongside the others :)

      Delete
  13. Great reentry to BOTB. Give my vote to Bright Eyes.

    ReplyDelete